Wednesday, July 9, 2008

What a crazy week it has been...


Our anniversary celebration was short lived, Brock and I received a phone call around 2:30 am Tuesday morning that changed our lives. I know this sounds crazy, but over the course of a week and a half, our family has dealt with three deaths. I have heard the old wives tale that death comes in threes, but never believed it. Brock and I both lost a great aunt, but I think the most profound loss was the loss of Brock's grandfather, James Lewis Hulsey. Although I have only been in the family three years, I have learned that Grandaddy Hulsey was the patriarch, a well loved man that left behind a legacy. He loved his family dearly and always did his best to help out those less fortunate. I wish I could list the many examples of his generosity, but I am afraid there just isn't enough room on this blog. However, I would like to share one of the many stories Brock has told me. Grandaddy owned the Georgianna Motel in Gainesville, Hulsey Brothers Paint and Body and Wrecker Service and after he sold those businesses, he worked for the Hall County Correctional Institute in Gainesville. Unlike most guards, when he took his inmates out on work detail, he took care of them. He would sneak them honey buns and pickles from home. They were assigned work detail at Chicopee Woods. People would talk about how they would drive by and see him sitting ouside in the shade with the inmates eating lunch. Now this might not sound like a big deal, but he had the opportunity to eat inside where it was cool. However, since they would not allow the inmates inside, he politely told them he would not be eating inside either. Not only was he a generous family man and lover of his fellow man, he was a decorated war hero. Grandaddy never liked to boast about his accomplishments. He was awarded 3 Bronze Stars during World War II. He served in the Asiatic Pacific area during World War II, where he wiped out a group of seven Japanese operating a radio station to pick up information on American movements. Grandaddy Hulsey was also awarded the Philippine Liberation Ribbon and the World War II Victory Metal. He never boasted of this and it was not until recent times that his own family learned of his accomplishments. He leaves behind his wife of 66 years, three children, four grandchildren and two great grandchildren and he will be missed greatly by all. Please remember his family in your prayers. Even though he had a great, long life of 85 years, his family is left with a void that will never be filled.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shanna,
I am so sorry to hear about the loss to your family. Please pass on my thoughts to Brock, his Grandfather sounds like a truly grand man. It was wierd, I woke up this morning and thought I need to check in with "The Posse" blog and see what's up in their lives. You are doing a great job with this, keep up the good work. Happy Anniversary, may you have many, many more.
All the Best, Jamie W-O

Ammie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ammie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ammie said...

Thank you, Shanna. That was very well put. I know he is in a better place and no longer sick and in pain, but I still miss him so much. I am so grateful to have you, Brock, Gen, and Grant in my life. It is times like this that remind me what a wonderful and strong family I have. Love ya! ~Am